A book advent is a great alternative. I am going to be wrapping up 24 books for my little book worm to open one each day. Not all of them have to be Christmas themed, its totally up to. I have a mix of Christmas and my favourite children’s books, with the plan being for the Christmas ones to come at the end leading up to the big day.
You don’t even have to buy new books. You can use ones that you already have. The idea is that you then share that days book with your child, whether it be at the beginning of the day or as part of the bed time routine.
If you are buying new books they become an investment that you can look at time and again with your children. Places to check out our the Book People and The Works. Maybe you have a little book shop local to you. We have a £1 book shop in Harpenden that always has great titles.
Here at the 24 books that will be featuring in book advent this year –
- 5 Minutes Piece – Jill Murphy
- Inside my Heart and Inside my Head Feelings – Richard Jones
- To Many Tickles – Thomas Taylor
- The Skipping Rope Snake – Carol Ann Duffy
- Nightbear – Rebecca Patterson
- Where’s my Teddy – Jez Alborough
- When We’re Together – Claire Freedman
- One Snowy Night – M Christina Butler
- A Christmas Wish – Julia Hubery
- A long Way Home – Elizabeth Baguley
- Big Bear Little Bear – David Bedford
- The Magic of Christmas – Claire Freedman
- The Magical Snowman – Catherine Walters
- The Night Before Christmas – Clement C. Moore
- Waiting for Santa – Steve Meyzger
- When Granny Saved Christmas – Julia Hubery
- When Will it Snow – Kathryn White
- The Christmas Bear – Ian Whybrow
- The Very Merry Mice – Jack Tickle
- Why I love My Mummy -Daniel Howarth
- Paper Dolls – Julia Donaldson
- We’re Going on a Bear Hunt – Micheal Rosen
- Stickman – Julia Donaldson
- Some Dogs Do – Jez Alborough
Do you have any alternative advent calendar ideas?